Waste Not | Want Not
In an effort to help reduce our clothing and textile footprint, Waste Not | Want Not (WNWN) aims to ensure that clothing and accessories purchased from Ecoture find their way to good homes once their status becomes pre-loved. To that end - to help close the loop - we've partnered with two fantastic Australian not-for-profits, Wear for Success and St Kilda Gatehouse, and are looking forward to making many donations to both as the program grows.
Products deemed suitable for eventual donation will be marked with the WNWN icon. Any WNWN item will be able to be returned to us, as long as it's clean, in good condition and still fit for purpose. Each item returned (once accepted) will be rewarded with Ecoture Loop points.
Returned pre-loved items will be sorted and donated to the most appropriate of our charity partners for use by them in their programs.
Australians are the second largest consumers of new textiles in the world, beaten only by the US. We buy an average of 27 kilograms of new textiles each year, and then discard 23 kilograms each year into landfill*. A massive two-thirds of those discards are manmade fibres that take decades to break down, all the while releasing toxic gases into the air.
And, while Australians have a long history of donating unwanted items to charity, it has been estimated that only about 15% of clothing donated to charities is actually resold locally via op shops. Rather, it's landfill - local and international - where much of our unwanted clothing ends up.
We've compiled some facts and figures on the issue of textile waste if you'd like to read more.
HowThere's rules, of course. There has to be for an initiative like this to be administratively manageable. So, this is how it will work:
- You must be an Ecoture Loop member to participate in the Waste Not | Want Not initiative. If you're not already a member, you can sign up via the Rewards link at the top of the page, or simply create a customer account.
- We will accept up to five (5) WNWN items at a time. The returns process can be initiated via the Customer Returns Portal. You will need to use your initial order number, the return type will be 'credit' and the return reason should be 'Waste not, Want not'. The process will need to be repeated if returning items from multiple orders.
- Each WNWN item submitted will be checked by us on receipt and, if accepted, will be rewarded with the allocation of 3 Ecoture Loop points for every $1.00 of the item's original purchase price (less GST & shipping) to your Ecoture Loop account.
- WNWN is currently only available to our Australian customers. Due to the carbon emissions that would be generated from returning items from overseas, we are unable to extend this program to those outside of Australia. We do encourage you to look for local reuse or charity donations options when cleaning out your wardrobe.
Our supported charities
Wear for Success is an Australian not-for-profit that provides professional clothing and work skills training to give clients the best possible chance of securing employment.
Since its establishment in 2011, the organisation has helped more than 2,500 people needing support on their journey back to work, issuing more than 20,000 items of work-appropriate clothing. A group of dedicated trained volunteer stylists work with clients to select interview outfits and provide tips on styling and grooming to present well at interview.
Additional clothing and accessories are then provided once a client has secured employment, so that they can start a new role with a variety of outfits to help them look and feel their best.
St Kilda Gatehouse is a not-for-profit organisation that works alongside those involved in street-based sex work or who have been affected by commercial sexual exploitation as a result of hardship. At both their St Kilda Drop-In Centre and Dandenong Young Women's Centre, the organisation creates a safe space in which women may access the resources they need. Through providing a place of belonging and engagement, Gatehouse helps individuals address issues such as family violence, drug addiction, homelessness, poverty, mental health and social isolation.
The fine print
Participation in the Waste Not | Want Not program is available to individuals only.
Amendment to terms
Ecoture reserves the right at all times to make changes to these terms and conditions, which may include, but are not limited to:
- changes to the rules governing participation in the program; and
- changes to the amounts of points, or any other benefit, offered.
Ecoture reserves the right to terminate the Waste Not, Want Not program at any time by giving you at least 30 days' prior written notice. We may give you notice:
- in writing;
- through a newsletter; or
- through any media source in Australia.
* The ABS estimates that 500,000 million tonnes of leather and textiles was sent to landfill in 2010, an average of 23kg per person. It is unspecified, but possible that figure includes carpets and blankets.